Thursday, November 13, 2008

it's the most...wonderful time... of the yeeearrrr!

Oh HEY! The email I sent myself from downstairs yesterday finally arrived. So here's what's cooking at the magic cottage:


All year I save pictures, magazines, wrapping paper scraps -- anything holiday-related -- and stash them in a special folder for my exclusive line of Pandenominational Holiday Ornaments! I've been making these for several years now. Like Newman's Own brand (without the wild financial success-- yet!), it sort of "started as a joke and has gotten out of hand."

A few years ago I was asked why, as a self-proclaimed neo-pagan Buddhist, I bothered with a Christmas tree. The short answer is "why can't we all just get along?" My ornaments are just a fun, visual way to say Hey! Christians don't corner the market on holiday fun! We can all take this time to love each other, celebrate family, eat way too much pie, and pay homage to all our ascended masters without discrimination. The first year I just made a few for friends, and a family Yankee Swap. Last year I made even more, hosted an ornament swap, and posted a bunch on my Etsy shop where, much to my surprise, they sold like hotcakes! (okay! i sold all of the four hotcakes I listed! LOL!) You can check out pics from my 2007 line here at Flickr.

Fancy scissors & Astronomy magazine; yup, the holidays are coming!

Here are three in-progress samples from my brandy-new 2008 line; these still need the glitter glue edging, brass screw-eyes with fancy-schmancy ribbon hangers, and a final gloss-coat of Mod Podge.

Now back to that critical analysis of Carson, Butcher, and Mineka's Abnormal Psychology and Modern Life.
________________________________________

mood: Free Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.com hopeful

currently listening to:

3 comments:

eric said...

Ahhhh, what a great way to start the day. And I know I can email this directly, but this seems closer to home.

Yes, the annual ornaments are much enjoyed. This is the first year we have ever gotten a jump on the season and I was suprised to realize we have 3 Miz A originals. Can you believe we've known each other that long? Anyhow, they're much enjoyed as is the source. And I love your take on religious harmony & tree acceptance.

The combination of several years of memories, your fine musical selection, and the next blog I see on quilts(love the idea)considering we're gearing up for buying a kid in '09 make this the best start to a day I can recall in a while. Much love as always.

Annie said...

OH ERIC ! MWAH MWAH MWAH!!! your plans for '09 sound smashing. :-)

I know, three years!!

Nadya said...

These are a hoot - I've gotta' make some!! When asked, I try to explain I'm an 'ecumenical harmonist' (harmonizing the teachings of several traditions) & Buddhist/Cherokee/Celtic, . . . & I often attend a super liberal 'peace & justice' Christian church (which has other buddhists etc. in the cong) . . .

I'm working on getting my craft spaces in order, so I can begin doing some 'soul collage' - but find myself drawn to various mixed media creations, surfing the blogs :)