Friday, November 28, 2008

gratitude altar

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! The kids and I had dinner with family and then had some petsitting stops to make (petsitters are busy on holidays. :-) on the way home. And then we started a new tradition. We sat down and had hot chocolate with marshmallows, and made gratitude lists. There has been a lot of anxiety in the house of late, and a great sense of loss, and a friend suggested that to clear out that energy we make a gratitude altar to honor those things that are in our lives.

I won't make the kids' lists public, but I will share with you a little of mine. I am infinitely grateful for my beloved children. I am grateful for my family - all of them. Even the ones no longer with us; I'm so grateful that I had the time with them that I did. I'm so grateful for my wonderful, supportive friends. I'm grateful for the opportunity to work, and to attend a graduate program (at least for now). I am grateful for the roof over our heads; for this warm and cozy place we call home.

And I am grateful for lessons learned over the past year. Even, -- or perhaps most importantly --the most painful lessons; as these are the ones that most helped me to clarify what is most important to me, and what i want in my life.

6 comments:

eric said...

I'm grateful that there are appreciative people in the world like you. I'm grateful that you pass this on to your children. And I'm glad you share it with your readers - of which I'm grateful to be one.

Anonymous said...

O yes, Miz A, this has been a challenging year for both of us....and for so many people. This was a year of loss, sacrifice, giving up some dreams, living with insecurity, and having to let go. Not long ago I decided to stop listening to the news because it was so relentlessly negative and scary. The election has given us some hope. I, too, try to count my blessings, which are manifold, and you are definitely among them. ANP

Annie said...

thank you.

love and light to you both, my dear friends.

Anonymous said...

I am grateful foor bumping into Annie...

Anonymous said...

LOL I misspelled "for" but grateful I caught it.

Jul said...

What a nice idea! I am grateful for so many things... I might need to go make a list of my own.