Saturday, November 08, 2008

home remedies from the magic cottage

"Love More" c. 2008 Miz Annie
5" x 7" mixed media collage

This was today's AEDM piece, which includes a quote from Thoreau which can be interpreted any number of ways to suit your own dysfunctionality. I would offer the disclaimer that I don't think Thoreau had it in mind that if you are in a crap relationship that isn't working, the best thing to do is continue giving 100% even when the other person is sitting around smoking Pall Malls and picking at his shorts. It doesn't mean that if you just love your partner "enough" or love them "the right way" they will stop abusing you. It means, well, at least to me it means that even if love has gone wrong, disappointed you, or otherwise let you down in some fashion, the solution is not to vow never to love again. The solution is simply to allow that experience to fall away, learn from it if you can, and move on. Love takes many forms and sometimes shows up when you least expect it. Maybe it is already here and you simply no longer recognize it? I also love how the subject "Love" is both a noun and a verb in this quote. Who is that famous relationship guru who is always saying "Love is a verb!" We talk about love as though it's a person we're waiting for, or some nirvanic state of mind they induce in us. If we don't hear angelic choirs (or Coldplay) and hearts and flowers don't weave through the air about our heads when we text each other, it must not be love. Feh! Think of it as a verb, see what that does for a shift in perspective. It always helps me, anyway.(1)

"Blue Archway" c. 2008 Miz Annie
5" x 7" mixed media collage on recycled pasteboard

Well, this is a morose little piece, is it not? I don't really care for it. But hey, we can't hit them all out of the ballpark, as I'm wont to say when participating in these once-a-day kind of things.

Meanwhile......


My son has been such an awesome help to me the past couple of months. He knows my back is hurting so he does all the chores around the house that require lifting (taking out the trash, lugging the laundry up or down the stairs, carrying in the groceries, moving boxes to or from the basement). He sweeps the kitchen for me as well as the stairs (which, due to the fact we have so many pets, is a daily requirement). In addition to helping with the housework, my son has lately become obsessed with creating the ultimate healing potion for me. (well, I'm sure all this extra work has motivated him to help find a cure! haha!). He is reading up on the healing properties of various foods and vitamins. Last night he made me hot "tea" made with cranberry and pomegranate juice, "for the antioxidants." Today he made an incredible curried carrot soup (okay, I helped a little), which was so good I had to share the recipe with you.


(the tee-shirt says "Save Trees - Eliminate Homework!")

Saute about a tablespoon of minced garlic and one large diced yellow onion in a generous dash of olive oil. Add about 2 cups sliced mushrooms and saute some more.

Separately, dissolve a cube of vegetable boullion in about a cup of hot water, add to the sauteed veggies along with about a quart of water, 5 or 6 large carrots, shredded fine (we used the Cuisinart so it took seconds), and half a block of extra firm tofu, cut into about 1/2" cubes. Season with salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin. Simmer for half an hour to 45 minutes. To be honest, these amounts are just good guesses; you might have to adjust especially the water - I'm really bad at estimating amounts of water. This soup was so easy to make and delicious - even the kids loved it.


Adding the shredded carrots.

The house smells so good while this is simmering! Veggie nuggets (Morningstar Farms makes an awesome version) and edamame completed the meal. MMMMM!


Hal and I have been cooking too; the other night we made a magnificent white-trash Green Bean Casserole
(recipe is on the mushroom soup can). It is a horrible, disgusting dish which I absolutely adore. I told her that it was a traditional November dish, and that we had to practice making it for Thanksgiving. (As if it takes practice to open cans).


Gross. But Halle had fun "cooking" with mom and was so proud to dish it up at suppertime. Jacob, unfortunately, found it completely inedible (as it probably is) and having to eat it nearly brought him to tears. I caught him balling up a mouthful in a dinner napkin and attempting to furtively pocket it for later disposal. I would have been mad but I was too busy laughing. Hysterically.

______________________________________________
(1) again, when I speak of love, one must listen with the salt shaker in hand. Cuz, you know, what the heck do I know?

No comments: