Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Tuesday Report: Hoagland, SKIRT, and National Treasure (xpost from my myspace blog...)

One of my very favorite poets, Tony Hoagland, is the featured poet on Writer's Almanac this morning. Go check out "A Color of the Sky" from his book What Narcissism Means to Me (which also wins my vote for most awesome poetry book title of the decade). 



In other poetry news, I just received my comp copy of the January 2008 issue of SKIRT magazine. They contacted me last summer, requesting permission to reprint one of the poems from my chapbook Bodies of Water, Bodies of Light. I had nearly forgotten they were going to print it!


 
January 2008 issue of SKIRT
(cover art by Mayumi Oda)


I'm thrilled with what they did with it – gave it a whole page and lots of fancy squiggles for decoration. I am all about the fancy squiggles. I like it so much, I'm going to bribe the Chairman to bring it to SexyCopy & make a big color copy for me and laminate it so I can hang it on a wall as decoration. Okay, fine, decoration and a little bit of horn-tooting as well. But hey, that's what narcissism means to me.  I'm going to drop a note to SKIRT and let them know how happy I am with their treatment of my poem, and ask permission to print up a few broadsides. If you are interested in a nice big blue squiggly poem about Buddha's mom and what I imagine her parenting concerns might be, you let me know.


Have an amazing day, all. I'll be here at the magic cottage studying and making art and tweaking the Sheltering Pines website and taking care of my still sorta-sick little boy, who is currently on the couch with his friend the Puffs Plus Kleenex box and watching "National Treasure"(1) (again).



___________________________
(1) Have you seen that movie? If not, you must put it on your list. In brief, here's why: Nick Cage, Harvey Keitel, Sean Bean, Jon Voight, a conspiracy theory, lots of cool historical details, smart cute boys solving mysteries and hacking into security, the Masons, the Knights Templar, and treasure hunting! Stuff gets blown up and there's kissing. What more can you ask for?!!

1 comment:

xxxxx said...

Congrats on being published in SKIRT!!! I can tell it made your day :-)