Friday, August 13, 2010

Bento Box Pillows for Mom

This was a quickie project for my mom, who made a gorgeous amazing quilt and had fabric left over to play with. I have been meaning to try the Bento Box pattern so she let me have at it.


This pattern is super-easy and fun... IF you have a rotary cutter and mat. If you don't... well... the cutting might be laborious. Of course, once you've gotten a rotary cutter & mat, any other type of cutting is going to seem archaic and laborious anyway, so just go get these amazing tools and watch a whole new world of sewing fun open up for you. No, I do not work for Olfa or Fiskars, but I welcome sponsorship invitations or kickbacks, haha! (I have no shame I have a ginormous student loan to pay off after all ;-) ]


I made my own pillow forms. I am always floored at how expensive pre-made pillow forms are, and since I always have yardage of neutral-hued cottons on hand, why not spend a few extra minutes whipping up my own? You can purchase by-the-bag fiberfill economically at Joann Fabrics (if you get on their mailing list they send great coupons every month) and stock up for occasions just such as this.

The decorative pillows are actually pillow CASES - I like to make them with a simple envelope closure in the back so you can take them off easily for washing & put them back on just as easily. If you want to get fancy you can use a button or toggle or other such closure but if you've made the envelope with enough overlap you probably don't need it.

Aren't they cute? I think this pattern translates well to traditional "country" fabrics like this just as well as more modern applications. I especially like how it looks when used for whole quilts - here is a gorgeous example, and here's another. I can't wait to make a full-sized quilt with this pattern!

No comments: