Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Maksim's Quilt

Maksim’s Quilt

This was a commissioned piece I finished in December but didn’t want to post because it was a holiday gift and I didn’t want to ruin a surprise!
The client wanted a quilt, but knew the baby already had plenty of blankies for his crib so we worked on a quilt that would be used as a wallhanging. We chose colors together, and collaborated on a pattern that would be bright and cheerful but not too busy. And of course, we wanted the baby’s uber-cool name to be a big part of the design.



I had not done appliquéd letters before but went online for some tutorials and found a great one here. They recommended the use of Heat n' Bond Lite, but I used Stitch Witchery (fuseable webbing) to keep the letters in place while sewing around them and that worked just fine. I love how they came out! In future, I would probably do a zig-zag stitch around the whole letter, which would be much more time-consuming and add to overall labor cost, but it would make the quilt usable as a blanket; this one should probably be ornamental only.


This shows the self-fabric sleeve on the back; you can just slip a
curtain rod through, put the curtain rod hardware on the wall & voila!

close-up

From all reports, Maksim liked his quilt so much he kissed it! Awwww…. now that makes my job so gratifying.

No comments: