Sunday, September 07, 2008

DAKOTA!



This is my new foster dog! He is a handsome lab/pointer mix about 2 years old. He's got this big boxy head I am just mad for and he is very, very laid-back. I picked up Dakota at transport and he greeted me with a kiss and then demonstrated he could "sit" and "give paw" for a treat. He walks well on a leash (doesn't drag you around), loves to ride in the car, and upon his arrival here at my house demonstrated some pretty socially-savvy dog manners. He defers to my resident dog, Tim, and even though he had just endured a grueling day on the transport trailer from Arkansas he patiently let Tim sniff his butt repeatedly, try to hump him, and follow him around incessantly - all without complaint.  He mostly just ignores the cats (except for Ebbie, who sidled right up to give him a cat greeting (rubbed up against him); and in return Dakota just gave him a lick on the head.



I love Dakota's "mittens."


We are not sure why this dog ended up in rescue; most of these dogs were simply found as strays in the South. As handsome as he is, Dakota is a victim of "black dog syndrome." My guess is that this guy had a loving home at one point; he is so well socialized and affectionate that it's hard to imagine that he has spent any great length of time on the lam or in the shelter. Previous foster family vouches for his awesomeness with their children and other pets also.


What strikes me the most about Dakota is that after all he's been through the past couple weeks, he is so trusting, so happy, so eager to please. He is constantly looking to my dog and to me to make sure he is doing what he is supposed to do, and his tail virtually never stops wagging. I'm getting all verklempt just thinking about it. He's going to make someone a GREAT family dog.


 
"Aren't I handsome!?"



DID SOMEONE SAY "FRITOS???"



I HAS A STICK




Here's Dakota, just chillin in the yard, catching a breeze. Dakota is such an awesome guy, he totally deserves to catch a break too; if you would like to meet Dakota drop me a note. If you are interested in adopting Dakota, or becoming a foster to one of these great dogs while they wait for their forever family to find them, visit Almost Home Rescue for more info and to fill out an application!

No comments: