Monday, December 31, 2007

last blog of '07

Well as 2007 wraps up, here's what it looks like here at the Magic Cottage:






We woke up this morning to the sound of the "plow guy," who is very loyal and has never once, in the 7 years I've lived here, left me snowed in. We were, however without power. So much snow fell during the night that all over town, tree branches are breaking under the weight of the snow, and apparently some are dropping on and snapping the power lines.


We got our power back late this morning, I had time to make coffee & get the kids up and dressed and fed before the power went out again. Came back on before I started pulling my hair out hearing "I'm bored," and "What can I do?" too many billion times.


Those of you celebrating in exciting and far-off locales, my best to you! Don't feel sorry for us back-woods New England folk, however, as we have our own celebrations that are every bit as shiny and meaningful as a ball dropping in Times Square.


I won't be whooping it up too much tonight since I have to get up at the buttcrack of dawn (not that 4:15am even qualifies as dawn), to go in to work. Us per diem employees will be covering for all those employees who actually get holidays off, so think of me fondly as you pop your Tylenol and nurse your hangovers.



For me, personally, 2007 was full of challenges, changes, and delightful surprises. I started out the year with a permanent part time job at the hospital and attending nursing classes at SMCC. By spring I had changed gears and decided that I wanted to change my focus from nursing to counseling and started taking courses at USM as an unmatriculated student in the master's in counseling program. A mid-year custody change found me having to quit my permanent part-time job to go per diem, take care of the children full time, and drop back and punt with the plans for school. Having to take a semester off when I felt I'd finally decided "what I want to do when I grow up" – was a frustrating time punctuated with lots of financial question marks. But like so many things that on the surface seem to suck donkey balls, this challenging time actually forced me to take stock and really decide what was important to me. I am very happy to say that as I type this I have just been accepted into a low-residency Master's in Counseling and Psychology program and couldn't be more thrilled about it. My credits from the other school even transferred. I just received a bunch of my textbooks today (save money by ordering used on Alibris.com!) and I can't wait to get started.



Just as I did during 2006, I made a piece of art nearly every day during 2007. I call these my "Daily Devotions." This has become such a habit that I don't think I'll even bother making a formal resolution of it for 2008. It has simply become part of what I do and who I am. The difference for 2008, I think, is that I will make more of an effort to share my work, whether that's having cards printed up, setting up a new website for my artwork, or simply listing more items in my Etsy shop.














I want to wish everyone Peace and Prosperity in the New Year! We have three hundred and sixty five shiny brand new days heading our way. Let's enjoy them, use them for the good, and not take a single one of them for granted.


with love and light from your adoring friend,
Miz Annie


1 comment:

xxxxx said...

Wishing you a stupendous new year Miz Annie!!! 2007 was more than challenging for many of us but it seems we came out of it stronger, more determined and definitely more focused. We're now in greater alignment and ready for all the blessings of 2008!

I too have committed to be creative every day, in whatever way, and no matter what. This is my only "resolution", live creatively, on purpose and abundantly.

I'll be thinking of you as you work and brave the bad weather.

Hugs and best wishes!