Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Three Jewels

Like a lot of folks, I seem to be having trouble taking close-up photos of my work. My collages and ACEO's are all small and flat, and I'm able to get really good high-res images by scanning them. I've even put my meditation stones face-down on the scanner and gotten some nice clear images of them, but the scans aren't all that visually compelling. I'd like to take photos that will show what they'd look like in the home - on a windowsill, on a meditation altar, or like this, with the other goodies that I send when someone orders the Three Jewels set. But look how fuzzy it is!

Several of my friends are very talented quilt artists and looking at all their beautiful things has gotten me itching to sew! I finally got out my sewing machine and managed to whip up this lovely drawstring bag from a crane print I had on hand from a fabric swap a while back. Fun and easy to make! My machine was decidedly sluggish though, and I couldn't get the tension right no matter what I did to it. I realized that I couldn't even remember when I'd brought it in last for a tune-up. So in it went to the repair place for an over-haul. She's back now and ready to roar!

Here is a great little pattern for a simple drawstring bag from happythings.
and here is her dee-luxe version, which is still simple enough for the beginner (that's me, yo!) but has a lining. What a great little trick for painlessly putting in a lining! Can't wait to make a bunch. In the meantime, if anyone has any tips for taking great macro shots, please pass them along!

No comments: